For TA (Grad and Undergrad) employment questions, please contact:
For all other student employment questions, please see below or contact Natalie Wolfe
View 2016/17 GSR Costs
Quarterly calls for GSR hires are sent out by Econ Grad staff. If you missed the call, please email Natalie with the following:
- Student's Name and PID
- Requested start and end dates
- Funding source/index number
- Requested percent of time (24.99%/49.99%/etc.)
Funding source and employment limits will be reviewed and requests forwarded to Econ Grad staff for official system entry. You will receive either a confirmation or follow up for each request; please do not promise any employment to a student before this happens.
Keep in mind that student status limits total employment to 50% during the academic year (defined as the first day of Fall quarter through the last day of Spring quarter), all current positions combined.
Exceptions may be requested for domestic students only. Unfortunately, student visa status prohibits employment over 50% during the academic year.
*Special justification will be requested for students who are registered at a different UC location. Unfortunately, we cannot hire students outside of the UC system.
All undergrad positions must go through UCSD Career Services before a hire can be made. To initiate a request, email Natalie with the following:
- Brief job description or bullet points of primary duties
- Desired start and end dates
- Approximate hours per week
- Hourly rate you want to offer (most commonly between $12-$20/hr) and index you'd like to use
Additionally, if you have already selected a student:
- Name and PID of student
- Do they have any near relatives working for UCSD?
- Justification to hire this particular student vs. open recruitment (ex. they have taken your course and have already demonstrated ability to do the work/are familiar with the project/etc.)
Natalie will create the job card and either post the position or request permission to hire.
Students are not to begin work without approval. You will be notified by email with the approved start date as soon as possible.
For National Science Foundation REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates) supplements, the student must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.