Your Travel Coordinator
Sequoyah Hall, Rm. 255
UC San Diego
Guidelines & Information
Per Diem Travel Policy
Per diem rates apply to foreign travel, travel to Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. possessions, and travel in the continental U.S. lasting 30 days or more. University policy allows for full lodging and meal per diem reimbursement irrespective of actual costs incurred, and up to 30% more than the published per diem rate when actual costs exceed the per diem rate, and certain conditions are met. Because of the more stringent reporting requirements and greater expectation of stewardship of non-faculty funds, we are implementing the following policy effective 3/1/13:
- Non faculty funds (including but not limited to endowments, gift funds and funds related to university administrative work) – department will reimburse the full meal per diem upon request and only actual costs incurred for lodging. This means that receipts will be required for lodging.
- Faculty funds (including but not limited to startup and retention) – we will reimburse the full meal and lodging diem upon request.
In both cases, if actual costs incurred exceed the per diem rate and other conditions are met, the traveler may request up to 30% over the per diem rate. In the case of non faculty funds, the traveler may request an exception to the policy to be considered by the chair. If you are planning a trip that qualifies for per diem, please feel free to talk to department staff (Misty or Sue) for clarification about any restrictions on your fund source. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments about this policy. A link to the university policy on per diem reimbursements is below:
Pre-Departure (no less than two weeks prior to departure):
- Read Departmental Leave Policy
- Obtain Pre-Authorization for travel
- Register for Business Travel Accident Insurance (if traveling 100+ miles from campus or your residence; more information)
*Pre-authorization of all travel is required by UC San Diego Policy.
Post-Travel (within 30 days of travel):
- Compile receipts
- Complete our online Travel Reimbursement Request
- Submit one complete reimbursement request packet (including all receipts and the completed online form) for each trip to the mailbox in Economics Building room 207
*For additional receipt requirement information review UC San Diego Policy.
Travel Pre-Payment Options
- Airfare, Rental Car, Hotel and Train: use your UC San Diego Travel Card OR book on Connexxus UC San Diego's new online discounted travel booking system (additional Connexxus details).
- Conference Registration Fees: use your UC San Diego Express Card or Travel Card