Economics Major (EN25), B.A.
To receive a bachelor of arts degree in economics, no more than four upper-division courses taken externally from UC San Diego can be counted toward the major.
Focus of the major
- Emphasizes tools of economics analysis and their applications to contemporary problems and government policies.
- Apply the formal methods used by statisticians to analyze data to learn about the real world
- Use basic economic methods to quantify uncertainty with confidence intervals; use regression to infer causal relationships; and use regressions for prediction
- Critically interpret empirical studies
- Set up, solve and analyze optimization models
- Apply optimization models to consumer, producer, and market theories
- Use game theory to analyze the strategic behavior of individuals and firms
- Build macroeconomic models
- Apply macroeconomic models to understand current issues
- Major requirements checklist (PDF)
Four Year Plan
- Freshmen entering FA07 and later (PDF)
Two Year Plan
- Transfer students entering FA09 and later (PDF)