Joint Mathematics-Economics Major (EN28), B.S.
To receive a bachelor of science degree in joint mathematics/economics, no more than three upper-division courses taken externally from UC San Diego can be counted toward the major.
Focus of the Major
- For students with strong mathematical skills
- Builds on advanced mathematics through economic applications
- Helps to prepare students for graduate study in economics and business
- Apply the formal methods used by statisticians to analyze data to learn about the real world
- Use basic econometric methods to quantify uncertainty with confidence intervals; use regression to infer causal relationships; and use regressions for prediction
- Critically interpret empirical studies
- Set up, solve, and analyze optimization models
- Apply optimization models to consumer, producer, and market theories
- Use game theory to analyze the strategic behavior of individuals and firms
- Be able to prove basic calculus theorems
- Major requirements checklist for students entering before FA12 (PDF)
- Major requirements checklist for students entering FA12 and later (PDF)