Incoming Transfer Student Information
Shortly after the Student Intent to Register deadline (SIR) in the spring, the Department schedules several orientation sessions for incoming transfer students, with declared majors in the Department of Economics. The Department Orientations go over information, including registering for classes, petitioning transfer coursework, major requirements, and various Department opportunities that are available to our majors. We highly encourage registering for and attending a Department orientation, as students will leave the session confident, informed, and ready to enroll in appropriate major courses.
Admissions Note for 2016 Transfer Students
Beginning Fall 2016, all transfer students admitted/entering FA16 must be a declared major in the Department of Economics at the time of admission to UC San Diego. Undeclared transfer students, or transfer students declared in another major department, will not be able to declare a major in the Department of Economics (including double majors) at any time.
We will host four orientation sessions for incoming transfer students in the week before course registration. An email from our Vice Chair will be sent in the summer notifying you of when to register.
Sign-up for Department Orientation (Declared Majors Only)
To sign-up for a Department Summer Orientation Session, click HERE. Sign-up only one time, and please donot register for more than one session. Confirmations will be sent, starting Friday, July 8th, and continuing each subsequent Friday, until sessions are filled.
2016 Department of Economics Summer Orientation and Advising
Monday, August 15th 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, August 16th 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday, August 17th 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Thursday, August 18th 1:30 - 2:30 p.m.
Essential Information for IGETC Students:
Completion of IGETC does not mean that you have successfully completed all lower division major requirements. All incoming transfer students are expected to have completed Econ 1, 3 and Math 10A or 20A, Math 10B or 20B and Math 10C or 20C. Prospective Management Science majors should also complete Econ 4 and Math 18 (Linear Algebra) prior to transferring to UC San Diego. Failure to complete these lower division requirements will delay your enrollment in our upper division core courses, because all upper division Economics core courses require the completion of at least Math 10C or 20C for enrollment. Visit the UC San Diego Summer Session website for Math courses offered during the summer. California Community College equivalences for UC San Diego calculus courses can be found on ASSIST. Additional course transfer equivalencies for calculus at other institutions can be found on the Math Department's Web site.
A Quick Note for UC Reciprocity Students (Transfers From Other UCs)
Completion of your UC Reciprocity Agreement does not have any impact on transferred major coursework. All economics courses taken at other four year institutions, including other UCs, must be petitioned for credit. Our program is highly quantitative and our upper division core courses require the completion of an entire year of calculus prior to enrollment. Some UC programs do not require this level of math in their core coursework, and therefore, students may encounter problems when attempting to transfer in upper division economics coursework to UCSD economics. If you are applying for an inter-UC transfer and would like your courses pre-screened by our Department, please contact the Department.
Registering for Courses Your First Quarter at UC San Diego
- Print your major requirements checklist, and the transfer two-year plan for your major.
- These plans assume all lower division requirements for the majors have been completed.
- If this is not the case, be prepared to complete the remaining lower division requirements before starting the upper division core requirements.
- Evaluate your Math transfer courses.
- Evaluate your Economics transfer courses.
- A score of 5 on the AP Microeconomics Exam will give you credit for ECON 1; a score of 5 on the AP Macroeconomics Exam will give you credit for ECON 3.
- Check ASSIST for California Community College course equivalencies.
- If you cannot find a course you took on ASSIST and you believe it is equivalent to one of our courses, you may need to file a petition. Contact us via newstudent.ucsd.edu
- Check the Schedule of Classes to see which courses are being offered.
- Read the Economics section in the UC San Diego General Catalog for course descriptions and prerequisites for Econ courses. Please note that prerequisites are enforced.
- Prepare to register for the next quarter's classes in the middle of the quarter.
Still have questions? Contact us via newstudent.ucsd.edu