Incoming Transfer Students
All transfer students must be a declared major in the Department of Economics at the time of admission to UC San Diego. Transfer students declared in another major department, will not be able to declare a major in the Department of Economics (including double majors) at any time.
We will host three orientation sessions for incoming transfer students in the week before course registration. An email from our Vice Chair will be sent in the summer notifying you of session dates and when to register.
- Print your major requirements checklist, and the transfer two-year plan for your major.
- These plans assume all lower division requirements for the majors have been completed.
- If this is not the case, be prepared to complete the remaining lower division requirements before starting the upper division core requirements.
- Evaluate your Math transfer courses.
- Evaluate your Economics transfer courses.
- A score of 5 on the AP Microeconomics Exam will give you credit for ECON 1; a score of 5 on the AP Macroeconomics Exam will give you credit for ECON 3.
- Check ASSIST for California Community College course equivalencies.
- If you cannot find a course you took on ASSIST and you believe it is equivalent to one of our courses, you may need to file a petition. Contact us via newstudent.ucsd.edu
- Check the Schedule of Classes to see which courses are being offered.
- Read the Economics section in the UC San Diego General Catalog for course descriptions and prerequisites for Econ courses. Please note that prerequisites are enforced.
- Prepare to register for the next quarter's classes in the middle of the quarter.
Still have questions?
New Students (students who have officially accepted, after SIR deadline): Please contact us through the New Student Portal.
Current Students (those who have registered for classes): Feel free to contact us through the Virtual Advising Center.