Program FAQs

Major Requirements

Can I take ECON classes (or Math classes) Pass/No Pass for my major?

All classes taken to meet major requirements must be taken for a letter grade. This applies to both upper and lower division requirements; both required Math classes and required ECON classes.

The only exception to this rule is ECON 195, 198, and 199 which are only offered with the pass/no pass grading option. No more than 12 units total of these classes may be applied towards your major; no more than eight units of ECON 195 may be applied.

Can I get a D in a course and use it for my major?

Classes must be passed with a C-(C minus) or better to be applied towards major requirements. If you received a D in a course you would not be able to use the course towards your major.

I took all or part of the Math 10A-B-C sequence and now I want to be a Management Science major. What can I do?

Transfers between the Math 10 and Math 20 sequences are possible, but such transfers should be carefully discussed with a Math advisor. Students who begin the Math 10 sequence and who wish to transfer to the Math 20 sequence may follow one of three paths:

  1. Follow Math 10A with Math 20A, with two units of credit given for Math 20A. This option is not available if the student has credit for Math 10B or Math 10C.
  2. Follow Math 10B with Math 20B, receiving two units of credit for Math 20B.
  3. Follow Math 10C with Math 20B, receiving two units of credit for Math 20B and two units of credit for Math 20C.

Credit is not given for courses taken simultaneously from the Math 10 and the Math 20 sequence. If you have any questions about these paths, please contact the Math Advising Office.

How do I declare or change my major to Economics, or Management Science, or Joint Mathematics-Economics?

All majors in the Department of Economics are capped. Departmental review is required to declare any of the three majors we offer, Economics (EN25), Management Science (EN26) and Joint Mathematics-Economics (EN28). If you want to declare or change your major, see Triton LinkStudents entering FA15, or later, see the Entry to the Majors page for specific grading criteria required.

Note for Transfer Students
All transfer students must be a declared major in the Department of Economics at the time of admission to UC San Diego. Undeclared transfer students, or transfer students declared in another major department, will not be able to declare a major in the Department of Economics.

If I already have a B.A. or B.S. can I earn a second bachelor's degree at UC San Diego?

Students with a bachelor's degree should consider applying to graduate programs. Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies for information on graduate programs offered at UC San Diego.

Can I take classes after receiving my undergraduate degree?
No. Once you have received your degree, your undergraduate record is officially closed. You can take UC San Diego Summer Session courses, but these appear on a separate record and are not included with your undergraduate work. You can also take UC San Diego Extension courses because they maintain their own student records.

If I still have requirements that I'll be taking in summer, can I participate in commencement?

You will need to speak with your college academic advisor.

Is there a limit to the number of upper division courses I can transfer in?

Yes. The Department of Economics has residency requirements for each major. To receive a bachelor of arts degree in Economics (EN25), no more than four upper-division courses taken externally from UC San Diego can be counted toward the major. To receive a bachelor of science degree in Management Science (EN26), no more than six upper-division courses taken externally from UC San Diego can be counted toward the major. To receive a bachelor of science degree in Joint Mathematics-Economics (EN28), no more than three upper-division courses taken externally from UC San Diego can be counted toward the major.

Can I take a course online for my major?

The Department of Economics reviews online courses by exception only.  In addition to reviewing course content, the Department of Economics reviews the methods used to ensure the academic integrity of exams.  The Department does not accept online courses that only use a secure server and password to ensure the academic integrity of exams.  An example of online courses the Department does accept for credit are those with content comparable to our own classes and on-campus, proctored exams.

Can I take courses through Concurrent Enrollment for my major?

No. The Department of Economics does not accept courses taken through Concurrent Enrollment to satisfy major requirements.


Minors Requirements

How do I declare a minor in Economics or Management Science?

Can I be both a major and minor within the Department?

You would not be able to major and minor within the Department. You are also not able to declare an Economics or Management Science minor if you are a Joint Mathematics-Economics major through the Math Department (MA33) or an International Studies-Economics (IS26) major.

Can I overlap classes to fulfill both my major and minor requirements?

Lower-division classes can apply to both your major and your minor. Per Univeristy policy, upper-division courses cannot apply to both your major and your minor.

Is the Business minor or the Accounting minor offered from the Department of Economics?

Both minors are offered by the Rady School of Management. Please see their website for more information on these minor programs or for any questions you may have regarding the requirements for their minors.

Can I take ECON classes Pass/No Pass for my minor? If I take classes for a letter grade, can I get a D in a course?

You are able to take classes for our two minors pass/no pass. There are some things to be aware of when choosing your grading option:

  • If there is any chance (however slim) that you would eventually declare one of the majors within the Department of Economics, you should take the classes for a letter grade as all classes taken to meet major requirements must be taken for a letter grade and passed with a C- (C minus) or better.
  • No more than 25% of your total UC San Diego courses may be taken pass/no pass.
  • If courses are taken for a letter grade, passing is considered a C- (C minus) or better. Grades of D or F are not accepted for the minor.
  • A grade of pass is awarded for work which otherwise would receive a grade of C- (C minus) or better. If you took a class pass/no pass and received a D for the course, you would be given a "no pass" and the class would not be accepted for your minor requirements.
  • If you are looking at using the class to fulfill some other requirement, graduate school, job requirements, etc. pass/no pass grades may not be accepted.
  • If your college requires that you complete a minor (program of concentration, etc.) or you are using these classes to also complete college requirements, you will need to check with your college academic advising office to ensure that they do not have rules about the grading options for those classes.

Economics Courses

I have questions about the grade that was assigned in my course, what can I do?

Begin by consulting with your professor and Teaching Assistant(s). If you need further assistance, consult with the Vice Chair of Undergraduate Studies, Professor Melissa Famulari.

I haven't completed the prerequisites for a class. Can I still enroll in it? Can I take the prerequisite class at the same time?

All prerequisites for Economics classes must be complete before you will be allowed to take the class. Unless stated in the prerequisite listing, you cannot take a prerequisite course concurrently with the course that requires it as a prerequisite. For the most recent list of course prerequisites, please see: Course Descriptions and Prerequisites.

I'm having problems registering for an ECON class because of prerequisites, but I know I have completed them. What can I do?

If you've been with the Department for a quarter or two, you may recognize the infamous "transfer credit"; problem. For example, there may be problems with the system recognizing Math AP exams. If you are having problems with prerequisites when registering for classes we may be able to help. You can come in and meet with an advisor during our advising hours or send an email to If you choose to send an e-mail please include your name, PID#, and the class(es) for which you are having problems registering.

What is Econ 1A-1B?

Econ 1A-1B (last offered in 2004) is the older version of our lower division Economics sequence Econ 1-2-3. Unless you took your lower division courses before Fall of 2004, or you completed Econ 1-2-3, you would not have credit for Econ 1A-1B.

When and where can I pick up my final exam?

Finals with signed Buckley waivers are located in the alcove on the first floor of the Economics Building (behind the Econ 100 lab). We try to have these finals available no later than one week after the end of finals week. Finals without signed Buckley waivers are available in our office Sequoyah Hall, Rm. 245, during our office hours, and can be picked up with a photo ID. Due to the large number of students in our office seeking advising, these finals may not be available for pickup until the second week of the quarter. Finals are available for one quarter after you took the class. For example, Fall finals will be available until the Friday of the tenth week of classes of the Winter quarter. If your final is not located in the alcove, or in our office, you will need to contact your instructor or Teaching Assistant.


How do I get transfer credits from another school for my major or minor?

  1. Send an official transcript for the transfer course sent to UC San Diego Admissions.
  2. Complete an Undergraduate Student Petition once the class is posted to your Academic History on Triton Link.
  3. Submit a separate petition for each course if you are petitioning more than one class.
  4. Include supporting documents such as syllabi, exams, class notes, papers, etc.
  5. Submit it to one of the Economics advisors in Sequoyah Hall room 245 during advising hours.
  6. Wait for confirmation that the petition has been processed and is ready for pick up (approximately one to two weeks). We will contact you through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC).

View a sample filled out petition (PDF).

How do I request exceptions to University deadlines (late add, late/retroactive withdrawal with or without a ‘W’, change of grading option, etc) to adjust my schedule after the deadline?

Complete an Undergraduate Student Petition and submit it to our office. Please note that exceptions to the published University deadlines are usually granted only in circumstances beyond your control (computer error, hospitalization, etc). Documentation is strongly recommended.

Discontinued Majors

What was the QEDS major?

The Quantitative Economics and Decision Sciences (QEDS) Major was offered by the UCSD Economics Department beginning in 1987 and ending with the 1994 entering class.  It was a variant of the Economics Major that stressed microeconomic decisionmaking.  The required coursework focused on the theory of the firm and the mathematical and statistical tools used for economic decisionmaking.   Differences between the Economics and QEDS Majors are listed below.

  1. The QEDS Major required the calculus sequence taken by Engineering and Mathematics majors (Math 20A-B-C) as well as linear algebra (Math 20F), whereas the Economics Major allowed the general calculus sequence (Math 10A-B-C) and did not require linear algebra.
  2. The QEDS Major required the calculus-based introductory economics sequence (Econ 2A-B), whereas the Economics Major allowed the non-calculus-based sequence (Econ 1A-B).
  3. The intermediate microeconomics sequence for QEDS Majors (170A-B) stressed management applications.
  4. QEDS Majors were required to take courses on choice under uncertainty (Econ 171) and operations research (Econ 172A-B-C).
  5. QEDS Majors were required to take seven upper-division Economics courses as electives, of which two were to be business-related.   In contrast, the upper-division elective requirement for Economics Majors was six courses.
  6. QEDS Majors were not required to take the intermediate macroeconomics sequence.