Skip to main content

Incoming Transfer Students

Effective FA19 all majors in the Department of Economics are no longer capped.  To become one of our majors, students simply need to select the major using the Major/Minor Tool on TritonLink.


Registering for Courses Your First Quarter at UC San Diego

  • Print your major requirements checklist, and the transfer two-year plan for your major.
    • These plans assume all lower division requirements for the majors have been completed.
    • If this is not the case, be prepared to complete the remaining lower division requirements before starting the upper division core requirements.
  • Evaluate your Math transfer courses.
  • Evaluate your Economics transfer courses.
    • A score of 5 on the AP Microeconomics Exam will give you credit for ECON 1; a score of 5 on the AP Macroeconomics Exam will give you credit for ECON 3.
    • Check ASSIST for California Community College course equivalencies.
    • If you cannot find a course you took on ASSIST and you believe it is equivalent to one of our courses, you may need to file a petition. Contact us via
  • Check the Schedule of Classes to see which courses are being offered.
  • Read the Economics section in the UC San Diego General Catalog for course descriptions and prerequisites for Econ courses. Please note that prerequisites are enforced.
  • Prepare to register for the next quarter's classes in the middle of the quarter.

Petitioning External Courses for Econ Equivalencies

  1. Have an official transcript for the transfer course sent to UCSD Admissions.
  2. Check your academic history to see if the course is posted to UCSD.
  3. When the class is posted, complete an Undergraduate Student Petition.
    1. Include all supporting course materials such as: the syllabus and course description
    2. Submit a separate petition for each course if you are petitioning more than one class.
  4. Submit the completed petition, and supporting documentation via : (must be logged into google with your email). We will forward the petition to our Vice Chair of Undergraduate Education for review.
  5. Check your UCSD email account for VAC notification confirming that your petition has been reviewed and processed, and that outcome has been provided (Process takes approximately 10 business days. May be longer during peak periods).

    NOTE: Online courses reviewed by exception only

    The Department of Economics reviews online courses by exception only. The course syllabus must provide the following details, in order for the course to be reviewed:

    1) Exams must be proctored
    2) The method for proctoring must be clearly specified (taken on-campus or the proctoring center is identified)
    3) The final exam must count for a large fraction of the course grade

View a sample filled out petition (PDF).

UC Reciprocity Students

Completion of your UC Reciprocity Agreement does not have any impact on transferred major coursework. All economics courses taken at other four year institutions, including other UCs, must be petitioned for credit. Our program is highly quantitative and our upper division core courses require the completion of an entire year of calculus prior to enrollment. Some UC programs do not require this level of math in their core coursework, and therefore, students may encounter problems when attempting to transfer in upper division economics coursework to UCSD economics. If you are applying for an inter-UC transfer and would like your courses pre-screened by our Department, please contact the Department.

IGETC Students

Completion of IGETC does not mean that you have successfully completed all lower division major requirements. All incoming transfer students are expected to have completed Econ 1, 3 and Math 10A or 20A, Math 10B or 20B and Math 10C or 20C. Prospective Management Science majors should also complete Econ 4 and Math 18 (Linear Algebra) prior to transferring to UC San Diego. Failure to complete these lower division requirements will delay your enrollment in our upper division core courses, because all upper division Economics core courses require the completion of at least Math 10C or 20C for enrollment. Visit the UC San Diego Summer Session website for Math courses offered during the summer. California Community College equivalences for UC San Diego calculus courses can be found on ASSIST. Additional course transfer equivalencies for calculus at other institutions can be found on the Math Department's Web site.

Still have questions?

New Students (students who have officially accepted by the SIR deadline) and Current Students (those who have registered for classes): Please contact us through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) at

Questions about the student experience? Connect with a current student in our Undergraduate Economic Society (UES) by email, at, or on Facebook.